Saturday, June 20, 2015

Cycle Safety vs HGV

Please go to the CTC SWLondon Blog and read my account of the MET's attempt to get cyclists to understand the problems HGV drivers have in seeing cyclists in blind spots. It was an eye opening experience to be invited into the cab of a very expensive massive Merc truck, sit in the drivers seat and be demonstrated the blind spots by a police officer who positioned himself around the truck in the blind spots. I have to applaud the MET for this initiative, which clearly would cost a lot of money to stage. Look out for where the next demo takes place. I think it would be well worth while for all of us to go through this demo when the opportunity arises around London.



its also worth noting I got a free Bike Register on my Van Nich with ultra violet coding which is now on the national data base to help recover if stolen.

2 comments:

  1. It's 2015, how is it that expensive new HGV's are allowed on the road with blind spots! Christ, even a Corsa has technology to park itself.This is a get out of jail card for poor driving.
    I trust the Met took HGV drivers on a bike ride round the Wandsworth one way system, I'm sure they would find that equally enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another female cyclist killed by a tipper truck in London this morning.The Met really need to get a grip on these boys they really don't give a sh-t about anyone that gets in their way. Even I get on the pavement now when they are about on the Lower Sunbury Road between Shepperton and Chertsey Bridge, it's a punishment pass every time if I don't.

    ReplyDelete